Sunday, August 20, 2017

Three Years and Three Magellan Projects


            When I chose to visit Washington & Jefferson college as a high school junior, I had not heard much about this small liberal arts college. In fact, the only reason I knew it existed is because it had aggressively attempted to recruit my brother into its ranks, and tried to lure Dylan in with the highest Dean’s Award scholarship they could offer. Obviously, their attempts failed to seduce him, but it is what put this college on my family’s map. I was interested in the idea that the school was relatively local (“far enough to prevent a surprise visit but close enough for your parents to run you down something if you need it” as one of the admissions officers put it) and had small class sizes. One of my great fears of going to a large school like Pitt or Penn State was being in one of those auditorium-style classrooms in which I would be taught by some TA. I did not want to be reduced to a number in the crowd, and the classrooms that looked almost identical in size to that of my high school appealed to me.
During one the admissions events, I asked my mother to take me to W&J to check it out. Considering how much she hated both the city and trip to Cleveland where my brother currently went, she was all too happy to oblige the fantasy of me going to a school a mere forty minutes away. While we were there, in the Media Room, they had a presentation on some of the unique opportunities available at the college. While they did the usual assortment of propaganda about study abroad opportunities and talked about their list of majors, they began to introduce the unique program of W&J: the Magellan Project. They brought in a couple students who told us about their trips. The trips they planned, the trips that were born solely from their own interest, and even to this day I remember the exact trip of one of the student presenting during that event. He had gone to the Vatican the summer prior to study the Catholic Church’s hierarchy and had been there for the historic moment of Pope Benedict XVI abdication of the papal throne. I immediately turned to my mother and told her that I would love to do that. I had never left the country before, and a college was essentially offering me a blank check to go wherever I wanted so long as I put in effort. Since I was thirteen or fourteen, I had said my dream was to go to the island nation of Malta sometime before I die. I know that sounds morbid, but it was more of a joke than the nihilistic tone is sounds like in retrospect. They had a reputation for business, a major in history, were a top producer of lawyers and doctors, and were willing to help me fulfill my dreams – W&J did succeed in seducing me. Also, the generous scholarship helped cement my first choice, but the Magellan Project is what pushed this college into my primary choice.

Three years have passed since my “that sounds so cool that they have a program like that” and I have had three phenomenal Magellan Projects since. W&J has already gifted me a life goal of visiting Malta, a trip that will never be matched. The enthusiasm, nervousness, and sense of accomplishment at its conclusion made my first Magellan trip my best experience to date. After that trip, I knew that this was an incredible opportunity and I patted my own back aplenty for not allowing this opportunity to pass by. Now a Magellan veteran, I knew that I had to convince others to take the plunge of international travel and exploration with me. After the first time, I was also resolute to become a three-time Magellanite to maximize this fleeting moment of unlimited potential.
Year two, after I suggested my roommate take an art history course with me, he ended up loving it and excelled in the class (constantly edging out my exam grades by a few points to my competitive chagrin), I asked if he would consider doing a Magellan Project with me. The class focused a lot on early Dutch art and the Dutch Golden Age of Art at the beginning of the course, and that turned out to be his favorite of the art styles. Personally, I was lobbying to head for Spain to see the Moorish architecture of the south and see some of its castles. After a series of discussions, I suggested maybe Amsterdam would be an option. Quickly his apprehensive excitement grew greater to see and study Dutch art and its relation to Medicine (as many pieces of art depicted dissections, anatomy, and different doctors), and I figured it would be a great place to study religious tolerance and the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands during WWII. Another trip, another unforgettable experience. Having my best friend to travel and explore with was amazing, and I got to test my skills I learned the previous year by taking care of most of the budgeting and pre-trip planning. I found the plane, the hotel, and was much more confident about traveling in general thanks to my solo excursion the year before. I have already fulfilled one part of the Magellan’s goals: inspiring others to do the same. We still occasionally talk about how much we enjoyed that trip, and how he was glad to explore Europe, a luxury that a majority of college students and many adults cannot afford.
In my final year of Magellan Project eligibility, I decided to stay somewhat local while exploring a foreign country. My most recent and sadly my last Magellan Project took place in Montreal, Canada. Even with two trips under my belt, I still wanted to try new things. Instead of a hostel or hotel, this time I opted to see what Airbnb was like. Instead of taking a plane (which I absolutely had to in the previous two trips), I wanted to try taking a bus to Montreal. I would not suggest taking a bus instead of a plane, but I will say the conversation I had with a Chinese national about his country and culture was as interesting as it was surprising. I also had a long conversation with a man from Indianapolis named Eric who helped kill some of the tedium and gross amount of time spent on the bus. I guess the one takeaway from the bus experiment is that bus people are talkers versus the awkward silence of plane travel.
Airbnb was also a welcome new experience that fell between the experiences of a hostel and a hotel perfectly. I had a private room opposed to a whole apartment or house to myself.  I had an older woman as a host who was happy to sit and talk to me for hours about everything ranging from the local politics (her disapproval of our politics), local events, and the history of Quebec province. She had lived in Canada her entire life and had been similarly adventurous when she was in her early twenties with stories of backpacking through Ireland and catching trips from friendly containership captains. The very first night she took me out to dinner, and painfully reminded me of the sad goodbyes I endured the night before I left the hostel with the friends I had made.
The Magellan Projects, all three of them, have granted me life experience in such a condensed amount of time. I cannot help but be immensely grateful for the opportunity the Magellan Project has given me to explore my interests, be confident in my travels, and communicate with people from all over the world. The Magellan Project had succeeded in persuading me to attend this institution, and has succeeded in helping me to grow as a global citizen. As a three-time Magellanite, I am proud to say those words and I extend my heartfelt gratitude to all those that make this amazing opportunity possible for the students of W&J.

 Below are three photos from each of my three Magellan Projects.









No comments:

Post a Comment