Thursday, August 17, 2017

Another About Me and Another Magellan Trip

So, in an effort to condense I am simply going to combine these to sections into one concise post.

About Me

First, since my "About me" has changed a little bit since my first Magellan trip to Malta, I figured a new one was in order. I am now a rising senior at Washington & Jefferson College. I am a history major with concentrations in American studies and entrepreneurial studies with delusions of grandeur and law school ahead of me. I would not consider myself very adventurous, but I am also not foolish enough to let amazing opportunities such as the Magellan project pass without seizing them. Ironically, thanks to W&J, I have now visited as many foreign counties as states in the US, not counting field trips also taken though W&J (I've only truly visited Florida for Disney World, D.C., and Baltimore). Each time I have been able to gain more confidence in my travels, budget better each time, and maximize my experience from my grant money. I am proud to call myself a three time Magellanite and am confident that becoming a student at W&J to take advantage of this program was one of the finest decisions I have ever made.

About the Magellan Project

The Magellan Project is essentially an exercise in motivation created from the mind of former W&J president Tori Haring-Smith. The idea is to fund any interest, in any (safe) county, for any student with the motivation to plan, execute, budget, and partake in the effort to chase in their own dreams of foreign or domestic travel. The programs recently granted its millionth dollar to fund diverse trips and random interests of students from every walk of life inside and outside of their major. Whether you want to return to your ethnic home to enjoy traditional foods or rough it in Alaska for three months, W&J's Magellan Project excitedly funds these students to pursue their passions, grow as members of society, gain life skills such as budgeting, and build confidence above all else.

No comments:

Post a Comment