Thursday, May 21, 2015

Finding Food and Finding Friends

To start off, I want to say that I have now been in Malta for four days. Unsurprisingly, it does not yet feel like it has been more that a single day. After getting to my hostel at 4:30pm local time, I was so incredibly exhausted that my day consisted of dinner and sleep and nothing else. Actually, at the risk of ensuring a certain friend's disapproval, that first meal was actually at a McDonald's. So much for immersing myself immediately, but if it is any consolation a solemnly swear that will be my last trip to McDonald's for the next two and a half weeks. Sadly eating out is not as fantastic of a experience as it is for me at home. Interestingly, it is not because I am unadaptable or afraid to try new things (in fact I ate a pizza the other day that contained four cheeses, and I only knew two of those cheeses existed), instead it is the lack of refills that plagues me. Those that know me are acutely aware with the fantastic amount of beverages I consume on a daily basis. I rarely leave the Commons without at least four refills or more, and this custom of restraint is one I had to learn quickly. That, or I buy myself a pitcher of Diet Coke to drink by my lonesome.



I also want to admit that hostel life was not at all what I expected. So far I have made more than a couple fleeting friendships, lasting only a conversation or a meal. Just in these four days I have had fascinating, and sometimes even enlightening conversations with a man from Oslo, Norway; a woman from Beijing, China; two women from Lithuania; a man from Libya; and and American expat from Ireland. All of those people have left since, but the conversations were welcomed and helped reassure me that everybody is truly compatible (and have a superb grasp of the English language). The night before the Libyan left (his name sounded like the second syllable of Wyatt) I ate dinner with him and he was telling me about his country and his interesting ability to identify another Libyan from a crowd of Arabs by just noticing how they are standing. All in all, it was a pleasant experience that I am glad I subjected myself to. Meeting new people and exposing yourself to the thoughts and ideas of other cultures is one of the tenants of what a Magellan Project is supposed to entail- and I relish the opportunity to expand my worldview.

A Beautiful View of the Accented Railings of Sliema

 Another View Looking Out my Hostel's Balcony 
(You can even see the Mediterranean Sea in the background)

 Even More Beautiful Balconies Looking Over the Streets of Sliema

My Entire Existence on a Single Bottom Bunk 
(with my French Girl Bunk Mate's clothes awkwardly hanging over the side)

No comments:

Post a Comment