Sunday, May 29, 2016

Jewish Synagogues and Jewish History

Yesterday we went to one of my highest priority attractions in Amsterdam. This location, which was very dear to my heart, was the Jewish Historical Center.The museum included information about when the Jews first starting migrating to Amsterdam, their activities and the synagogues they built here, the role in society and the trades they practiced here, their struggles during the Nazi occupation, all the way to the Jew's weary return to Amsterdam post-WWII. The information was extremely well organized and almost every turn included yet another piece of the accompanying audio guide that greatly expanded on the artifacts they had and the history behind each paining, each document, and each siddur they possessed. In fact, I took so many photos of the place, i.e. I do not think there is a singular corner of the museum that I was not able to capture (with the exception of this smaller Amy Winehouse exhibit, in which I was forbidden to take photos). I will include most of them, I was going to caption them, but there is just so many. In fact, if you want to know what anything is specifically that does not have the information about it in the next picture, just contact me or leave a comment. Well, here they are.













































































































































































































































 Unfortunately, for some reason I am completely unable to rotate these photos from blogger. So, tilt your head I guess?















I also went to the Portuguese Synagogue in Amsterdam's Jewish Quarter. The synagogue is very close to the Jewish Historical Center and is a Sephardic Synagogue built in the 17th century. These are the pictures I took of it.




















This is actually a memorial built right into the sidewalk to commemorate a Jewish family
 that was removed from the home the plaque was in front of.

No comments:

Post a Comment